Thursday, March 29, 2012

"Illegal Everything"

 
This is the first show.

 
Second Show: Part 1



 Second Show: Part 2


 Second Show: Part 3



Second Show: Part 4

Second Show: Part 5

Second Show: Part 6


My father sent me a link to one of John Stossel's shows titled "Illegal Everything," and since I know my father is very wise, I took the time to watch the show. I found it so enjoyable that I also watched the follow up show that is found in the videos below the first one.

I have always loved a good debate, and since I am a stay at home mom I don't often get the chance to have lively conversations with actual adults. This means that I enjoy watching documentaries or shows like the ones posted above and then letting the information stew in my mind throughout the day while I work on chores. I find a good time to meditate on these ideas is while folding a large basket of laundry. I like to imagine that I am in a debate and need to defend my opinion. Sometimes during this process of contemplation I will become unsure of what I believe, flip flop back and forth or even completely change my opinion on a topic that I thought I was sure on. I love when this happens because it means I am growing as a person and discovering new things about myself, other people, and the world around me. These videos are examples of perfect laundry day contemplation material.....they really got me questioning my own beliefs on these topics, and how I view our government and it's force in my life. I encourage all of you to take some time to watch the videos for yourself!

On a slightly different note:
I was excited to see Joel Salatin (a farmer) in the show defending his right to eat whatever he feels like eating, because I just watched a documentary called "Fresh-New Thinking About What We're Eating," in which he is featured. I enjoyed this documentary tremendously. Even though I have watched other documentaries that touch on the same topic, such as "Food, Inc.," "The Future of Food," and "Super Size Me," this documentary really got to me and is making me much more conscious of my food choices.  "Fresh" really explored the problems and consequences of our current food system, and Joel Salatin is very influential in this film. It was life-changing enough for me that I have decided to try and buy eggs and other meat products only from local farmers who let their chickens, cows, etc. free range....

Anyways, I highly recommend watching the videos I have posted in this blog, and I also recommend that you watch the documentary "Fresh-New Thinking About What We're Eating." (And then go fold a basket of laundry)




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Thanks for your comments!