Thursday, March 22, 2012

Swim Club....Blub Blub Blub....


Tonight I went to my third "Swim Club" practice at LSSU. Practices are held every Tuesday and Thursday evening from 8:30 to 10:00p.m. and are open to all LSSU students and community members with pool passes.

Here is a link to the group Facebook page:

 http://www.facebook.com/groups/378180892207169/

Tonight we swam:

600m warm-up (free)
8 x 50m back stroke drills
8 x 75m odd (free-back-free) even (back-free-back)
20 x 25m odd (free) even (backstroke) SPRINT!
400m cool down

Since I haven't swam in ages and am just getting back into it, the past three workouts with the group have been tough! Tonight I got water up my nose on almost every flip turn because I was literally hyperventilating underwater! But, I am really enjoying going to these practices because there are a variety of different people participating and we are all at different ability levels/ages. Everyone is really nice and inviting, and knowing that we are all suffering through the same workout together makes it easier to push myself. I would NEVER have swam as hard as I did tonight if I had just gone on my own. Plus, Ben Kaszeta, LSSU's volleyball coach, walks around during the practice and gives out pointers on form or encourages us to kick harder etc. This is great motivation to focus on improving form and technique.

I was very nervous about going to the first practice because I didn't know what to expect, I'm out of shape, and I am just an average swimmer. I convinced myself to go by reminding myself that if it was a terrible experience I could always sneak away to the "bathroom." But, now I know...the LSSU Swim Club is a group of athletes all trying to improve their swimming for many different reasons. Some are beginners and are there to learn how to perform competitive swim strokes. Some are there to improve there fitness level. Some for fun and friendship, and others to train for upcoming triathlons or races. But, nobody is there to compare or race....it is a great atmosphere.

For those of you who live in or nearby the Sault, if you need a good kick in the butt workout (more honestly called a "near drowning experience"), then I encourage you to come out on a Tuesday or Thursday evening and make some waves with me. I would love to see you there!

And, for those of you who don't live nearby, take my advice, don't be afraid to get out there and attend a group meeting that you might not normally attend....whether it be a swim club, bike club, book club etc. Just because you haven't labeled yourself as a swimmer/biker/reader etc...doesn't mean that you shouldn't explore the option of becoming one. I think it is so much easier to become better at anything when there are others to support and push you. So, get out there and try something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Thanks for your comments!